As was the case in 2004 when the NHL season was scuppered completely, the idea is again being floated that if this season is shot completely that perhaps we should find some way to allow amateurs to compete for old Lord Stanley’s beaker.
Some would argue this woul taint it but I’m firmly in the camp that it would add to the lore of the grand prize of hockey. I for one would be ready to enter the Blue team from this year’s WOHL into any such tournament. These are character guys who are loaded with passion for the game and we’re probably as good or better than the other Blue and White team down the highway to the east, so why not?
Perhaps a tournament could be organized that draws teams randomly, lottery ball style, where all comers would be given an equal shot. A peewee team, a group of old NHL wannabees, an industrial league team, guys and ladies alike would be given equal chance to play for the fame of having their names alongside Beliveau, Orr, Gretz and Mess.
From a purely hockey perspective, here are some gifts I would love to get, in no particular order:
- Two tickets to a Bruins game in Orr’s rookie season
- A chance to watch Gordie Howe shooting at the head of any guy who dared to try and block his shots. (Apparently he did this)
- A chance to play shinny with Gretzky on his back yard rink when we was 10
- A video clip of my dad playing hockey on Boiler’s Creek (on what was then the outskirts of Peterborough) in early winter with his buddies, when he was in his late teens, and had hiked in from the farm on a Sunday afternoon after his chores were done
- A stick handling lesson from Gilbert Perrault
- A chance to play the OFSSA semi-final game in 1981 over again
- A brand new one of those old wooden Koho 201’s with the 5 blue stripes near the bottom of the shaft. A stick for the ages.
- One night of NHL play where the goalies all have to wear throw-back equiment (1980’s throwback)…and just so any goalies don’t get all lathered up about this, we’ll make it fair and make all the Stamkos’s and Ovechkin’s use those Koho 201’s with the blue stripes
- The chance to play one game in the NHL as Sydney Crosby’s winger
Filed under dads, wishlists